Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Confession Number 57: I'm the Mother of a Three Year Old

Well.  It is offical.  My baby isn't much of a baby anymore.  She is a full blown, independent, demanding, bossy, incredibly cute preschooler.  She talks in paragraphs.  She learns new things every day.  She dances and twirls like no one is watching.  She lives for the glass slipper to fit.  Okay, yes, yes, she IS my daughter.  She was bound to like the whole Cinderella story, right?  The shoe fettish is genetic, so maybe I should take the credit for that.  She is unbearably cute and loveable one minute and makes us want to pull our hair out the next.  All in the day of a three year old.

I've never been one that gets overly emotional on her birthdays.  I cried on her first birthday, but it was more because I had to work and couldn't spend the day with her than it was that she was getting older.  It has always been my philosophy that if we are doing the job God intended for us, as parents, then our children should grow up, they should get older and become more independent.  We'll see if I feel the same way when she turns 16. 

This year Kennedy was old enough to pick her own birthday theme and in true fashion she choose princess.  We had a little gathering of friends and family to celebrate her big day.  Let's just say, she was in heaven! 

My very talented friend at Tasty Creations by Julie made her princess birthday cake to match her party invitations...
So, is a crooked crown kind of like a crooked halo?  I think so.

Her cake was adorable and sooo yummy!  I bought some special sparkler candles for her cake...
Little did I know when I bought them that they were also trick candles.  They kept relighting and KJ had a hard time getting them out for good.  I received many boos from the crowd that night.  I didn't know, I swear!

Like most three year olds, her favorite part was opening presents.  There were so many! 

We are truly blessed with amazing friends and family, but it really got me thinking about a more simplistic plan for next year.  I hate that in her mind a party means presents.  Maybe a book exchange or something fun for all of the kids next year.

Three is a lot of fun, but very challenging.  Dustin is learning what it is like to be in a house with two females.  One minute she is happy, the next she is falling on the floor crying because she didn't want you to get her a new cup.  Then you hand it to her and she's completely fine again.  And that is just me!  Kidding!  The emotions run high around here, but we wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment