Sunday, January 24, 2010

Obsession: Fajitas

After lots of thought, I've decided to start a new section of "Confessions". I've run across a few things around the house here lately where I have thought, "this product is great! I wish everyone knew how wonderful it was!". So, I decided to introduce you to "Obsessions", my community service project for the world. Okay, maybe it won't fit into that category, but hopefully it will introduce you to a few new things that will make your life easier.

For me to fall in love with something it has to be special. It can't be too wildly expensive and it has to serve some purpose. Does it make my life easier? Does it add happiness or purpose to my life? Is it something we need? Does it spur a memory or special feeling? In short, I will try to not waste your time by talking about junk. It will truly be something that I think you will love.

All of that being said, here is my first Obsession: Fajitas

When we left Piedmont, we left behind some wonderful neighbors, and while we miss them something terrible, one of the things I miss the most is sharing meals with them. Scott loves to cook, and as many of you know, I enjoy being in the kitchen most of the time myself, so we hit it off right from the start. Scott's specialty is grilling and mine is baking, so we made a great pair. He makes some mean chicken fajitas, and while I love them, I really like some beef in my fajita mix, too. So, I was on a mission to find something that would be an easy addition to our fiesta. It was on a random trip to Braum's that I found these:



Now, I'm normally not real big on prepackaged foods. They are high in sodium, and for the most part, just aren't all that good, but on the day I found these I was in the need for a quick and easy dinner idea. These are REAL beef, seasoned and already cooked. All you have to do is warm them up in a skillet. They are really, really good and super easy. Scott and Shelli even approved them as a new member to our fajita party. I've even got my mom and Lynn stuck on them. And Lynn is snobby about his beef. I'm not saying that tacky....he's a cattle rancher....he knows his stuff, and they now use these.


Last Friday night I was tired and Dustin and I were busy setting up my new washing machine (and doing the 10 loads that comes with not having done laundry in almost two weeks), so I knew I needed something easy for dinner. I have kind of been in a cooking rut since leaving Piedmont, which it has been since we lived there that I made these. These were even better than I remembered! I sliced up some onion and threw it in my cast iron skillet with a little bit of olive oil, then added some bell peppers. I had chopped ones in the freezer, so that is what I used. After those got nice and soft, I threw in the beef and let it all get to know each other for a few minutes. Serve with tortillas and all of the fajita toppings, and you've got yourself one yummy, and simple dinner. Here is what it looked like when I was done working my magic....


You can get these in beef or in chicken at Braum's. It takes one bag to feed the three of us, but Kennedy and I don't eat a whole lot and before too long, we will be upgrading to two bags. I've never tried the chicken fajitas, as Scott blessed us with his recipe before leaving Piedmont, and I simply don't think you can beat it. Nutritionally, these aren't horrible. They are high in sodium (about 20% per serving), but that is to be expected in a Mexican convenience food. Cost wise, you can't beat it, under $4 a bag! I also think I've seen them at Sam's if you are feeding a crowd. A great addition to have in your arsenal when you are dead tired and all of those little faces are still looking up at you asking what's for dinner. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. We use the chicken ALL the time. Not only are they great as fajitas, but I use them in King Ranch Casserole and Chicken Fettucine Alfredo as well. For the four of us, two being teenagers, it takes two bags for these reciples, and more for the fajitas alone. Well worth the convenience, though!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something to add to my freezer, I think!

    ReplyDelete